8-7-2012 General Assembly Minutes

August 7, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Caryn’s bail was posted 8/6/2012, still in Denver county. Caryn is missing her apartment meeting. She is being held until she can be transferred to Weld (sp?) county.

Someone is missing from Las Vegas, JT Sexton, his facebook has been deleted.

Next social forum is next Sunday at Ekar Farm

Josh Pierson has court tomorrow

Direct Action Working Group, 7:00 at the Amphitheater

Deep Green Resistance film showing, Thursday August 16th 7pm, “White Clay”

Spirit and struggle event, Angela Davis, asked Occupy about fliering

Occupy Flier needs updating

This Thursday, teach in at the Deer Pile, why nonviolent struggle has eclipsed the usefulness of violent struggle

Conference August 17-18, related to American Sociology Society, radical professors, called “Occupy Real Utopias”

Romero theater troupe is performing a people’s history of colorado on Auraria

This Sunday, 4pm, amphitheater

August 21st foreclosure sit in

Steer committee for the “we need to know” campaign to audit government, library Thursday at 3:00

Presidential Debate conference, trying to get a space, almost done with mission statement September 28 GA to gather concerns, September 29 to address concerns on Auraria

Outreach for the next two months focusing on inner city council?

8/8/2012 Obama speaking at Auraria

Proposals

Endorse film screening event in Deep Green Resistance movie, August 16-17 Women’s march for peace on August 26.

Vote Pass 18-0

Endorse August 11th, Chris’ daughter has a kidney disease, patient advocacy group meeting at Coor’s Stadium at 8:45pm to flyer against business practices of Davita.

Vote Pass 17-0

Release $70 to reimburse a donor who helped front Caryn’s bond, $60 to pay legal line.

Vote Pass 4-15-0

August 21st, All in the Streets against the Police, 6:00 at Alma park.

Pass 2-20-0

7-17-12 General Assembly Minutes

July 17, 2012 in Meeting minutes, Uncategorized

Announcements:

Fundraiser for Karyn Friday 6:30 27 Social Center (Movies – CoIntell Pro and Inside job

Slut Walk Saturday

Foreclosures – some folks may need help fighting the foreclosure on their home

Health Care for All Colorado event Saturday morning

November is Homeless month according to Governor Hickenlooper

Deep Green Resistance film screening of White Clay, Thurs 7pm at Left Hand Books

Alonzo Ashley Vigil – against Police Brutality, Wednesday at 7:30 Denver Zoo

Zapatisa Teach-in at Deer Pile 5:30

July 29th feed for homeless at Triangle Park

Free Karyn Buttons for sale 2$

 

Agenda Items:

People’s Debate

Conference Sept 29th or 30th – details to be worked out

Oct 3rd presidential debate conference

People’s conference (Roya)

National call out to Stop the Empire (Tim)

-Have to look for own housing and food… conference not gathering

Blocks 0, Abstentions 2, No 0, Yes 27.

 

Occupy the Hood Proposal to Endorse:

National Gathering this weekend in Atlanta GA

Blocks 0, Abstentions 0, No 0, Yes 23

Occupy the Neighborhoods was discussed.

 

Future Events

Proposal for nation wide call out for (yet to be determined) actions against the empire – under the banner of “stop the empire”) – demonstrations targeting military industrial complex in Sept. (pickets blockades or direct actions…) (email chain will come up with definition of empire)

-Modeled off of shut down the corporations that Portland did

-Empire as push but not the exclusion of political corruption…

-Economic argument about empire, military industrial complex

Blocks 0, Abstentions 4, No 0, Yes 23

 

Proposal to move GA to Civic Center Side of Park

Blocks 0, Abstentions 0, No 1, Yes 25

7-10-12 General Assembly Minutes

July 10, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Social Forum posted on web, EcoFarms

Agenda Items

Endorse a group protesting the dictatorship of Sudan. This group marches every (Sat or Sun) at the state capitol building. Proposal tabled will take to breakout discussion to find out more information.

National Gathering Comrades gave a debrief from their trip

Breakout groups.

Socialist forum has a group from Quebec protests want to come to Denver.
Do we want to meet these people.

Legal

Outreach

Being Coopted

7-10-12 General Assembly Minutes

July 10, 2012 in Meeting minutes, Uncategorized

Announcements:

Social Forum posted on web. EcoFarms

Agenda Items:

Proposal to endorse a group protesting the dictatorship of Sudan. This group marches every (Sat or Sun) at the State Capitol. Proposal tabled will take to breakout discussion to find out more information.

National Gathering was discussed.

Breakout groups:

Socialist forum has a group from Quebec protests want to come to Denver.

Legal

Outreach

Being Co-Opted

7-9-12 General Assembly Minutes

July 9, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Legal $54 was made in donations at the march
$160 total in legal fund currently minus 47 for legal line
Legal line was successful at the march
Legal line training will occur soon
$178 for GA
Money will be coming back for bailed out comrades after their cases are close.

Teach-ins happening at 5:30 at the Deer Pile space above City O’ City – next Thursday’s teach-in will be about the Zapatistas, directed by DU professor. It is the first of a series of teach-ins on social movements’ history and tactics and their application.

Tuesday the president of Healthcare for All Colorado will be at the GA. They are working toward single-payer healthcare.

Two social forums in August – The one on August 12th will be about eco-farms, food justice, etc. The other one is on August 25th and will be about single-payer healthcare and will be run by the American Sustainable Business Council (comprised of small businesses; fights against the Chamber of Commerce)

2nd of the month potluck in Cheesman Park at 4:00. At 5 we start discussing goals and missions of Occupy Denver.

Slutwalk is the Saturday after next

According to the police, nobody has been arrested for “Urban Camping” thus far, but Occupiers have been arrested recently for park curfew violations, which could be an excuse to not charge people under the ban

Rally in front of 9 News? Denver Post? on Sunday to try to get the media to realize that there are more than 2 candidates in the upcoming presidential election

Legal Courtroom 5A Comrades + Comrade in a different room

Agenda Items

Sept 2 Running Down the Walls by DABC, that OD endorse this action and put on the websites. A benefit 5k walk for political prisoners. This raises funds for political prisoners. The event will be held in Cheeseman Park. Sunday September 2 at 11am.

Vote: Blocks 0, Abstentions 2, No 0, Yes 12, Passed

Movie Night Friday, July 20, at DABC Social Center, @ 2727 27th Ave, Suggested donation $5, fundraiser for Comrades

Amendment to show video footage from days before arrest.

Vote: Block 0, Abstentions 0, No 0, Yes 14 Passed

Proposal to add someone to Finance Committee.

Vote: Blocks 0, Abstentions 2, No 0, Yes 12

Discussion about smoking

Consensus never happens

Breakout Discussions

Presidential Debate October 3

6-19-12 General Assembly Minutes

June 19, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Why I Occupy Saturday, Free speech, need to get 10-20 people

Court tomorrow 8:30am

Gay Rights next Thursday

Meditation / Yoga in the park 3-5

Rewilding event in Durango, a week of camping anarchist

Legal raised money at PRIDE for bail.  Needs  a cosigner still to get comrade out of jail.

Agenda Items

GA to start with announcements, proposals, then voting will be completed by 8:15

Then over to smaller break out groups

Then reconvene after for closure

Vote: Abstentions 1, No 0, Yes 25, Passed

Planning for a 1st Friday march on July 7th at 7p.

Will start at Lincon Park @13th and Mairposa, will go to Art Walk

Proposed as a Anti Capitalist March

Someone read the proposed press release

Discussion occurred

Diversity of Occupy meme

People who are capitalist and conservatives should not be judged.

Suggested that wording be changed

Wording was changed.

Vote: Bloc 0, Abstentions 1, No 0, Yes 24, Passed

5-30-12 General Assembly Minutes

May 30, 2012 in Meeting minutes

-break out structure
-spokes council cutting/schedule
-proposal requirements

-announcement structure
-next steps component

-ga video
-notes situation
-od structure handbook

Break Out Structure – anyone can bring a rough proposal topic, these are announced and people can choose which group to join for discussion and planning

Topics should be rough drafts of future proposals (not general discussion about the woes of OD or society at large) (allow for more open forum discussion that are not necessarily proposal topics)

Break out discussions should end with next steps – gathering contact information, any further meeting details, and, if ready, a written draft proposal, a list of responsibilities that will need to be bottom lined, and resources needed (only for events, proposals, or action items) (facilitator ask for basic next steps)

GA would begin with introduction, followed by brief announcements, then proposals, then breakout groups, then returning to the whole group for brief breakout summary and farewell

Proposals should go until no later than 8:15, leaving 45 min for breakout groups

Small group discussions are more conducive for the brainstorming, planning, and logistical stage of proposals than the current structure which only enables whole group discussion of proposals or issues

Using breakout groups to work through early stages of proposals enables proposals to come to GA more prepared and with more people behind them

Splitting the GA time into announcements, proposals, and breakout groups will encourage more efficient use of time as we will not have 1 1/2 hours for discussion of proposals

Breakout groups also puts more focus on developing working groups that take on the responsibilities of bottom lining the events or projects

Breakout group discussions about more general topics provide a great space for new comers to dialog and get involved

The new procedure will be posted to the website for all to see

Facilitator trainings will be held for more folk to become familiar with the process and step up to facilitate this process

Cut Spokes Council, move GA to Tuesdays and Thursdays, no Saturdays,
or cut Spokes Council and make GA Tuesdays and Saturdays

The breakout structure condenses much of the role of both spokes and GA into one – the planning discussion that goes on at spokes can go on in the breakout sessions at GA

The intent of Spokes Council is to create space for different committees and groups to bring issues they are collectively working on in that group to a space where these groups can work out details – this, however, requires that groups are bringing issues that the group has been working on, as well as needing the help of other groups – this is not the case with the current state of OD committees or groups, thus Spokes Council does not function as a spokes council

OD organizing entails a ton of meetings – by cutting out one big group meeting this time can better be used for small group/individual work or events

The new schedule will be posted to the website

New Proposal Requirements – all proposals must be backed by at least 3 people who have worked through the proposal together

Being sure that at least 3 people have participated in discussing or planning proposals prior to coming to GA helps ensure that proposals are prepared to address basic logistical issues, have more pre-GA input, and have people ready to bottom line the responsibilities implied

Having more prepared proposals come to GA helps cut down on unproductive conversation in GA

This requirement for proposals will be posted to the website

Facilitators will inform individuals bringing proposals at GA that the proposal must be previously discussed and backed by at least 3 people (this is tied to re-instituting the requirement that proposals be brought to GAP or the facilitator at least 15 minutes before GA)

Procedures that are technically held by OD but seldom practiced which we may want to re-institute/emphasize

All proposals must be brought to GA procedures/facilitator at least 15 minutes before GA

After any proposal is passed needed next steps must be clarified and bottom liners step up

Roving Greater
Using either the vibes watcher or another person as the designated person who takes the responsibility to stepping aside with new comers who need help understanding process, passers by who want to rant, or other issues of people interrupting process

Small adjustments that facilitators may want to implement that do not require being proposed

Announcement Structure
condense outside group announcements and general announcements into one category – general Announcements
Possible end with announcements
Start with who what when where
Use mick check
Use a board to write down announcements

Break Out Structure
Anyone can bring a rough proposal topic, these are announced and people can choice which group to join in discussion

Topics should be rough drafts of future proposals (not general discussion about the woes of OD or society at large)

Break out discussions should end with next steps – gathering contact information, any further meeting details, and, if ready, a written draft proposal, a list of responsibilities that will need to be bottom lined, and resources needed

Cutting spokes council/schedule
Cut spokes council and move GA to Tuesdays and Tuesdays (no Saturdays)
or, cut spokes and make GA Tuesdays and Saturdays

With the new breakout structure this condenses much of the role of spokes and GA into one – the planing discussion that goes on at spokes can go on in the break out sessions at GA

Proposal Requirements
All proposals must be backed by at least 3 people who have worked through the proposal together

All proposals must be brought to GA procedures/facilitator at lest 15 minutes before GA

Announcement Structure
Condense outside group announcements and general announcements into one category – general announcements

5-8-12 General Assembly Minutes

May 8, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Denver Free School calendar on the website

No war in Iran @ Unitarian Church May 12

The Legislature is gutting laws for Marijuana & Crime sentencing

Goals discussion, list being gathered to address goals

Agenda Items

Urban Camping

Proposal to picket Monday before the city council vote at the city & county building.

Someone brings a proposal to call a direct action before the one approved by Saturday’s GA, all night, leave @ 5:30 march to city & county building and Denver business partnership. Do a picket before the sleep-in

No money for bail so everybody is one their own.

Blocks 0, Abstentions 3, No 0, Yes 16 Passed.

Environment
Rick Santorum is coming to town to a 3 day convention on fracking. Haliburton is involved. Very elite convention. May 14 – 16, convention center, ends noon may 16, everyone gather to protest & picket

Discussion goes to pass the proposal for doing the action now with details to follow

That Occupy Denver have a presence at this event
Blocks 0, Abstentions 2, No 0, Yes 13 Passed

Someone proposes actions for Monday, a sleep in @ the city & county building at every door, word out through email list, bring sleeping bags, blankets etc. From noon till 5:30 then take them into the building if so allowed.

Blocks 0, Abstention 1, No 0, Yes 11

4-28-12 General Assembly Minutes

April 28, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Environmental group met up to keep group alive agenda item will be brought up later seeking members.

May Day Working Group attended a awesome marshal and security group meeting was awesome, still seeking marshals, May Day working group meeting tomorrow, still needing tables and chairs, bring them to the park on the day of, MAYDAY agenda is up

Legal fundraiser short $60.00 outta of the $1,250 has other people that will fill in.

Montbello committee announcement

24/7 has came up with money for 30+ sleeping bags

Someone works with a group that is partnered with Whole Foods in Capital Hill to bring food to Occupy

Banners made for Mayday and Occupy thinking of holding signs at Coors Field

Romero Troupe looking for actors to put on a theater art@occupydenver.org

May 12th attack on Iran conference at church on 14th

Agenda Items

Urban Camping Ban Proposal for a Sleep In on the16th St. Mall as a direct action from the city council meeting on the 30th, press release to be released on may 1st

Sleeping in front of he Pavilions on the 16th St mall due to news article in post to target a corporate owners

Voted to Sleep in front of the Pavilions after May Day in direct action of the Urban camping ban

Proposal moved to vote

Blocks 0, Abstentions 2, No 0, Yes 29 Passed

Environmental Group
Proposal for Bi-Montjly presence to bike to Commerce City to the Suncor Plant, Cleaning up along the way and holding signs along Hwy 270, put it on website

Ammend proposal to once a month

Blocks 0, Abstained 1, No 0, Yes 26, Passed

4-24-12 General Assembly Minutes

April 24, 2012 in Meeting minutes

Announcements

Decolonize Consciousness Workgroup, Teach-in at 1st Unitarian Church, Wed 18:00-20:00
Topic: Growing up to be effective in the movement, stop being a baby and quit sucking.

May Day Working Group planning meeting at 18:00 at Mad Beans at the Art Museum 18:00-20:00
Need canopies, chairs, folding tables and chair. Contact mayday@occupydenver.org
The only source of food is Food-Not_Bombs, so we need more food.
We need more signs and will have a sign-making party
Schedule details are being worked out.

Civil Unions Bill is coming up in the state legislature. Need to pressure five Republicans to guilt them into passing the bill out committee. See hand-out and publish further information.

Email art@occupydenver.org if you have art supplies or bring them to Lincoln Park, Sunday 17:00

Friday 30-Apr 18:00 CPC wants help organizing effort against criminalization of homelessness.

This Sat in Lafayette the Romero Theater Troupe will be doing a performance re homelessness at 18:30, 101 East Baseline Road.

Free Speech TV needs help with a fundraiser.

NOW DC in Washington, DC is pushing forward with Move-to-Amend.

Someone is in jail. Their release date is 4-May. They would enjoy visits.

CPC is calling out for support, 12:00 Wed 1029 Sante Fe Drive.

Someone announced that they are getting together with some veterans to clean up a section of Federal Blvd. They will stake out an area tomorrow. So, we will do something positive and nice.

We are hitting ALEC hard, 10 corps have dropped, they gave up Voter ID and stand-your-ground legislation.

We need to work together with The Row and homeless persons.

March for Women’s Rights on Sat from 10:30 to noon.

Agenda Items

Support Rally for Women’s Rights: No 1, Yes 21

Costs associated with May Day that we need to cover. Propose that OD donate $100 to the event for logistic needs to the May Day Working Group. Amend to release whatever is in the OD general fund and pass the hat and call out for funds on Facebook. Block 0, Abstention 0, No 4, Yes 18, we need 9/10 so vote fails.

Pass the hat for May Day, finance will take the money.

Discussion on escalating tactics against Urban Camping Ban